Omega-3’s and Exercise
Inflammation, free radical damage, tissue damage, catabolism of nutrient stores. What do these things have in common? They are what commonly occur when we are active in an intense fitness program (CrossFit). Let’s talk about a great source that can help prevent, reverse and repair these unwanted side effects of exercise.
More specifically, fish oil. It’s one of the more popular supplements in the fitness industry. It’s been proven to reduce inflammation, joint pain, improves heart health, and can also improve the hair, skin, and nails. A number of studies have also shown that fish oil increases the deformability of red-blood cells. This is important in exercise because we need optimal blood flow during bouts of cardio or HIIT to reduce lactic acid build up and maintain oxygen to our working muscles.
There are many different kinds of fish oils from many sources. Krill and Cod is the top source for fish oil because the EPA and DHA are packaged as phospholipids, which can be used by your body immediately. Fish oil can also come in liquid form. It’s generally flavored to taste awesome, but some don’t. The benefit of liquid fish oil is that it is absorbed and digested easily and quickly by the body.
Though studies have mainly focused on the effectiveness of Omega-3’s on RBC deformability, muscle damage, and inflammation, there haven’t been many studies done on the links between Omega-3’s and exercise performance. But, if you add a fish oil supplement, you may see the benefits of reduced inflammation and muscle damage, which in turn may benefit your recovery so you can come in to the gym the next day ready to go again!
By Jared Bradford
MAKE UP A MISSED WOD
MOBILIZE (for a minimum of 30:00) then do some skill work 🙂
PROGENEX (click here for their website!)
- Recovery (Belgian Chocolate, Tropical Vanilla, Loco Mocha): helps your muscles rebuild and recover, and overcome fatigue and restore performance with just one serving.
- More Muscle (Loco Mocha, Belgian Chocolate):contains “More” of everything you need to build “Muscle” so that you can “Lift More. Build More. Burn More” throughout your day.
- Cocoon (Chocolate): Nighttime recovery is crucial for daytime performance and success. Sip a hot cup of Cocoon prior to bedtime and achieve a deep, sound, restorative and reparative sleep.
- Force (Lemon Squeeze): is the pre-workout product that increases oxygen, strength, stamina, and mental clarity and focus, helping you take your training and performance to the highest level.
- Omega+: is a powerful omega 3 supplement that helps reduce inflammation, accelerate recovery and enhance athletic performance. Featuring krill and calamari oil, the all-natural anti-inflammatory with astaxanthin and vitamin D-3.
SFH: Stronger Faster Healthier (click here to visit their website!)
- Recovery Whey Protein (Chocolate): to re-energize your tired muscles and help them recover, maintain joint health and flexibility and decrease the negative effects of free radical oxidants. A muscle cell reloaded with ATP will make new muscle quickly.
- Liquid Fish Oil (Lemon): Each teaspoon delivers over 3100mg of EPA and DHA. Soy free, gluten free and sugar free
Kill Cliff Recovery Drink (click here to visit their website!)
Anti-inflammatory recovery drink with a fruity carbonated taste!
- Tasty (Orange)
- Double Awesomeness (Berry)